The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.

Wayne Dyer (b 1940)

How To Connect 2 Mac Together

How To Connect 2 Mac Together

Imagine: you have to transfer large files between 2 Mac, either movies, directories or else
A very simple way to do it is to make one Mac as a "Slave" and the other one as a "Master"

You just need a Firewire cable and to follow the instructions...

1) Turn on the "Master", leave the "Slave" off
2) Plug the Firewire cable between the 2 Mac
3) Turn on the "Slave" On while holding the T Key (Target Mode)
4) After few seconds, you'll see the Firewire Symbol appear on the screen of the "Slave". ( The Logo is an example of a Firewire Symbol)
5) It's ready! From Finder on the "Master" Mac, you can access the "Slave" and transfer larges files in a zap!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks!! This was very helpful and very easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very easy indeed... except that modern macs have no firewire at all. Any solution for "today" ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question: will this work if I buy a thunderbolt to firewire adaptor for my macbook. I'ts retina display and doesn't have firewire.
    :(
    I thought I'd never need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know as I have not tried with a Firewire adaptor. It should, but I can't guarantee it. It also works with USB

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the speedy reply. I tried it with a thunderbolt cable and it works, so I'm happy.

      Just throwing this out there, though. I could have just opened to file sharing option and done it all wirelessly. Probably not as fast of a transfer rate, but it would have done the job.

      Delete
    3. Wireless option: You need Airdrop on both Mac.

      Delete